Gulu college of Health Sciences is a Government institution established in the 1950’s as a midwifery school to train students in medical research and health system through the implementation of research driven clinical practice and contributing to processes that promote quality, equitable and safe clinical service delivery with the engagement of the community, students, health workers, patients particularly in the fields of social disadvantage and indigenous health.
The College was transformed into a school for enrolled nurses and midwives in the 1970’s and later a school for Medical Assistants in the early 1980s. It remained a school for Clinical Officers until 2016 when Diplomas in Public Health Dentistry, Pharmacy, Health Service Management and Anesthesia were introduced. The school is transiting to an allied health Institution training producing proffessional health officers
The School has a distinguished history of student education, service and research for over six (6) decades with a current student population of 444 and the student population is expected to rise up to 1500 students by the end of the Plan Period.
The Education and Training system in Uganda has changed significantly over the past 5 years especially with the implementation of the BTVET Strategic Plan which puts emphasis on the implementation of Competence Based Education and Training (CBET).
This Strategic Plan arose out of the need for strategic direction on the allocation of resources and implementation of new initiatives as contained in the Business, Technical and Vocational Education and Training (BTVET) Strategic Plan 2012/3 – 2022/3, Education and Sports Strategic Plan (ESSP) II and the National Development Plan (NDP) II. The school has a five years strategic plan that was launch: Download the Strategic plan
The school is run on a semester basis and exammine by Uganda Allied Health Exammination Board(UAHEB)