Uganda Christian University (UCU) is an authentic Christian institution established by the Church of Uganda in 1997 in response to a call for quality university education with a Christian perspective.
Uganda Christian University replaced the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College which trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono.
International partnerships were part of the Bishop Tucker Theological College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed up with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital.
By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through university education – not only educating clergy but other professionals as well.
In 2004, UCU became the first private university to be chartered or accredited by the government of Uganda.
Located in Mukono, less than an hour’s drive from the capital city Kampala, Uganda Christian University is one of Uganda’s leading teaching and research universities.